Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Praying for life change. Believing even when it doesn't happen.

Well, so many times as a church planter I enjoy writing about, reflecting on and sharing the stories of hope. The stories with good outcomes of changed lives and people who have chosen the narrow road. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that so many more people choose the wider road. I don't know the "real" numbers but I share with people quite often that for every one life we see changed by the gospel we've probably walked with 20 or more who have left somewhere on the journey. It is hard, it is sad, it is frustrating. To ask why is futile other than to say in belief that it is all for God's ultimate glory.

I've been asking for prayer over the last couple of weeks for Shannon. Shannon is an abused, addicted paraplegic who we have been walking with, sharing the gospel with and encouraging to chose life... to choose Jesus. Unfortunately about a week ago I dropped Shannon off at her hotel knowing in the back of my mind that I may never hear from her again. I knew that as much I can and should fight for her, I cannot change her and I cannot choose for her. That is a hard reality to accept. She must choose Jesus for herself and the power of the Holy Spirit is the only one who can change her life. Wow!

Now I'm faced with the reality, as I have been so many times before in our short time in Tacoma, that there is a precious life out there wandering the streets. She's hurting, she's broken and she has knowingly rejected the God of the universe. How do we keep going? I'm not completely sure. I know it's only by faith and only through grace that we can persevere on the journey in the midst of great loss.

Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for Shannon as you think of her because as long as there is still breath in her lungs the grace of Jesus is available to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment