Monday, January 31, 2011

Amazed

I don't have much to say tonight. I've written this post twice and deleted it both times. I'm just kind of sitting in awe of Jesus tonight.

This afternoon I was able to have lunch with the new director of the youth Late Nite program at the YMCA. Pray for him, his name is Rich, that he would lead by the power of the Holy Spirit and we would have open doors to preach the gospel at the Y.

This afternoon there was a fight right outside our house that escalated rapidly from high school tough-kids to gang violence. I was afraid for the first time in a long time as we brought two of the kids who had been jumped into the house. My faith was tested this afternoon as I feared for the safety of my wife and children. I always say so boldly that God's grace is sufficient for me. That his power is made perfect in my weakness. This afternoon that claim was put to the test and I was very afraid.

Tonight I was able to attend a "Jesus and Justice" seminar on the campus of the University of Puget Sound, a campus that everyone I've talked to has told me is completely closed to the gospel and nearly impossible to get on. God has opened doors for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship and is allowing us to serve along side them. As I sat there in a room full of college students that are not supposed to be "reachable," I was amazed at who came with me: three teenagers that God has impacted with the gospel through the planting of The Pathway in Tacoma along with a 22 year-old future pastor and a 34 year-old new believer.

The grace of God at work in a city is extraordinary. His grace is surely sufficient. I am amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment