Monday, March 31, 2014

The stars at night are big and bright...

The alarm clock in the Higg house is set for 3:30am as we begin our journey south... deep in the heart of Texas!  I was honored to be asked by one of our long-time partner churches, FBC Charlotte, to preach their upcoming revival services.  They were also incredibly gracious to invite my beautiful bride and kiddos along and allow us to come 5 days early so we could get some much needed R&R before the revival services kick off on Sunday.  We're thankful to be spending 4 nights and 5 days at Alto Frio Baptist encampment.  This is a place near and dear to my heart as I grew up going to camp there as a pre-teen and teenager.  I'm sure I'll get in a lot less trouble on this trip than I did back in those days.

Rest is something I must confess I tend to sin in.  I know some of us tend to wear our exhaustion as a badge of honor.  We proudly proclaim how many hours a week we work and how many extra-curricular activities we are able to juggle.  But for me, a lack of rest is nothing to brag about.  It's a direct result of my lack of faith in the God of the universe to handle things in my world while I take a breather.  It's really ridiculous when you say it out loud.  Resting is something God modeled for us in the creation account.  Resting is something God commanded when he gave the law to Moses.  Resting is something Jesus modeled unapologetically.

So why is it so hard for so many of us?

Again, I know that for me it's simply a lack of faith.  It's something I have to be on my guard against and it's something I have to repent from when I fall short.  All that to say, I'm so thankful for our upcoming rest and I am asking God to grant us a peaceful vacation.

Preaching these revival services is a new for me too.  I told Pastor Duane at FBC Charlotte that the "old guys" are a lot more intense than us younger dudes.  They consistently prepare 2-3 messages a week while I pour my heart and soul into preparing one... and find myself spent every time.  Now that I've been called on to preach 5 messages in 4 days I know that it is something that can only be done through the supernatural indwelling and outpouring of the Holy Spirit!  I'm excited to see what God does.  I don't want this to be another week.  I'm praying that God would do something in Charlotte Texas that none of us could ever imagine!

I was also reminded in an email from my mom this morning of the awesome, life changing power that can come from revival services.  It was on the final night of a 6 day revival service back in 1990 that an 8 year old little red-head gave his life to Jesus!  Thank God for any and every opportunity for the gospel to be preached and the Holy Spirit to move in people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment