Monday, January 18, 2010

Walking Humbly

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves..." --Philippians 2:3

This past Friday was unique, somewhat painful, but I truly believe it will increase our effectiveness as a church in the long run. Over the past month or so I've become increasingly discouraged by the lack of humility displayed by many of the younger people that have been attending our church. There is often an attitude of selfishness and arrogance that displays itself on Friday nights. Not only is it sinful, it has started driving away people who are genuinely seeking out truth.

This past Friday the majority of the people who came fell into that category and I really felt the Lord telling me that they needed to hear what the Bible says about humility. Being the "preparer" that I am, I struggled for a bit with whether or not to go with the Spirit. Thankfully in this instance the Spirit won out over my pride. We were able to spend about 30 minutes talking about Philippians 2 and learning how true Christ-like humility displays itself. I do not know what kind of fruit the message will bear. I have to be honest and express that it was not an easy message to give. I had to look at my own life first because I know how full of pride I often can be.

Only time will tell if The Pathway will genuinely begin to reflect the type of unified, bond-servant, selfless humility that Paul saw in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. However, I would ask that you join me in praying that The Pathway will become just that kind of church. We don't have room for vanity and selfish conceit. We are trying to reach people for Jesus and I believe it will take nothing less than humble love.

No comments:

Post a Comment